Are you searching for how to delete someone from messenger in 2020? In this post, we will be discussing the various ways to delete messenger contact.
In 2020, Facebook users do not necessarily need to be friends before messages can be sent back and forth. Just like Instagram, you can send a message to a Facebook user without adding them up as friends. Same applies to receiving messages.
But, what If you want to delete that person from messenger? What If you want to delete that messenger contact? There are ways this can be achieved and it solely depends on whether or not, the person is a friend on Facebook or not.
Table Of Contents
- Various Steps To Delete Someone From Messenger In 2020
- How To Delete Messenger Contact That Is In Your Friends list
- How To Delete Someone From Messenger That Is Not In Your Friend List
- How To Delete Someone From Messenger Android App In 2020?
- No Option To Delete?
- How To Delete Phone Contacts On Messenger
- How To Delete Conversations On Facebook Messenger
Various Steps To Delete Someone From Messenger In 2020
As earlier mentioned, there are various ways to doing this and it solely depends on the circumstances. However, we will be looking at the various ways this can be done. The aim here, is to make sure that at the end of the day, you learn how to delete a messenger contact using Android, iPhone or computer.
How To Delete Messenger Contact That Is In Your Friends list
If the contact you want to delete is also in your Friends-list, this is how to go about it.
- Log into your Facebook account using web or mobile app (Android or iOS)
- Visit the person’s profile page you wish to have removed from your messenger contact
- Click/tap on the friend option and select Unfriend. You’ve just unfriended that person from Facebook.
Next Step, would be deleting that same person on Messenger.
- Open Messenger. There is a also a dedicated desktop messenger client.
- Tap on people contact icon. This tab showcases all the active friends on messenger
- Under Messenger tab, scroll down till you locate the person you want to remove from your contact
- When you find the person, tap on the info icon close to the call button
- Tap Remove Contact
- Accept the option to remove contact.
That’s it. You’ve successfully deleted someone from messenger. When this is done, the person can still send you a message. However, this will come as a message request.
When under message request, the sender won’t know whether or not, you’ve read their message. If you choose accept, they will know and will equally be able to reach you subsequently. If you choose delete, they won’t know you saw their message.
How To Delete Someone From Messenger That Is Not In Your Friend List
Now, assuming this someone you want to delete from messenger isn’t on your friends list, here is how to go ahead and delete them on messenger.
- Open Messenger
- Tap on people contact icon. Again, this tab showcases all your active friends on messenger
- Under Messenger tab, scroll down to locate the friend you want to remove from your messenger contact list.
- On the profile, tap on the info icon which is usually close to the call button
- Tap on Remove Contact
- Accept the option to remove contact when prompted.
that’s it. You’ve successfully deleted a person from messenger. Doing this, you won’t see them active again and their messages won’t pop up on your chat heads anymore.
Subsequent messages from them will also end up in the message request session. Therein, you can choose to accept, or delete.
How To Delete Someone From Messenger Android App In 2020?
Here is how to delete someone from messenger using the android app.
- Launch the messenger android app
- Tap on the active tap
- Scroll down to find the user you want to delete
- Tap on the profile to open the chat conversation
- Tap on the options icon located at the top right side of the page. This is immediately after the video icon.
- Among the options, scroll down and tap on Ignore messages.
When you choose the ignore messages option, you won’t be notified when the messenger user messages you directly, and the conversation will move to message requests. The messenger user won’t know his/her messages is being ignored.
No Option To Delete?
If perhaps, your messenger doesn’t show the option to delete a contact, here is how to go around it.
- Open Messenger
- Click on people’s icon
- Click on All Contacts
- In the all contacts list, click on the info icon beside the context you wish to remove
- Click Remove Contact
If perhaps, you are faced with #5900 error when trying to delete a contact, it simply means the person has blocked you or you didn’t add them directly from messenger.
How To Delete Phone Contacts On Messenger
Facebook as per your permission, uploads your contacts, calls and text history to messenger. According to Facebook, information like this helps the social media platform and messenger make better suggestions for you and others.
To delete your uploaded contacts on Facebook messenger, follow the steps below.
- Visit the Manage uploaded contact session on Facebook Here
- Under the contacts tab, select Delete All Contacts
- A prompt will be displayed asking if to delete uploaded contact info. If you still want to go on with this, select Delete all contacts.
That’s it. You’ve deleted uploaded contacts on Facebook Messenger. Be sure to turn off the sync contacts setting in the messenger app. You should also turn off the continuous call and SMS matching settings. Step by step on how to do is contained in this page.
How To Delete Conversations On Facebook Messenger
Being able to delete conversations on Messenger is quite easy.
Just touch and hold the conversation and tap delete. This applies to android. On iOS, you’d have to swipe left and select delete.
While that works, they can still send you subsequent messages. To stop them from sending you further messages on messenger, the option is deleting contacts or blocking.
To block a user on messenger from sending you messages in the future, follow these steps:
- Open the
- Select the Person which you want to Delete from Facebook Messenger App.
- On the right side of the header, Tap Three Dots.
- Into the Drop Down Menu, Tap Block.
- Tap Block when prompted.
That’s it. You’ve successfully blocked a user from being able to send you messages on messenger.
Hope this answers your query regarding how to delete someone from messenger in 2018? Questions? Please do not hesitate to leave a comment.