It’s crucial to keep your contact list as current and relevant as possible. How often do you click on contact only to find out they haven’t been in touch for years?
Or you have people in your contacts list that you don’t want to talk to, but can’t seem to delete. How do you delete Gmail contacts? This article will show you how to remove a contact from your Google account on desktop and mobile devices as well as IOS devices.
If you didn’t know this before, by signing in to your Google account on your android phone, your contacts are synchronised with your Google account. That way, should you change phone over time, it’s easy to back up and restore your contacts from One android phone to the other, or from android to iOS and vice versa.
However, herein, we will be showing you how to remove contacts from your Google Gmail account if you don’t want them anymore. Without much Ted-talk, let’s take a look!
How to Remove A Gmail Contact On Desktop/Computer (Web version)
Step 1: To see your Gmail contacts, visit contacts.google.com. To access your contacts, fill in your username and password if you haven’t already done so. It will thereafter, display all your Google contacts like the image below if you have successfully logged in.
Step 2: Hover your cursor over the contact you want to delete. A blank square will be used in place of their profile image. To pick that contact, check the square. This allows you to choose numerous contacts at once.
Step 3: When you are done selecting everyone you wish to delete, click the three vertical dots that signify “More Actions.” Then, from the drop-down option, choose “Delete.”
Step 4: When you click on delete, then a notification will be prompted asking you if you really want to delete the contacts you’ve selected, click on delete and you have successfully trashed the selected contacts.
A contact can be removed from Gmail using the steps indicated above. As a result, you won’t see these records if you use Google Gmail on the web.
How to Delete Google Contacts On an Android/Mobile Phone Using Gmail App
- On your android mobile phone, open up the Google Gmail app
- Tap on the three horizontal lines on the top left side of the page to open more menus
- Amongst the menus shown, scroll down and tap on Contacts under Google Apps. At this point, you may be prompted to download and Install the Contacts app from the Google play store.
- Launch the contacts app and you will be prompted to allow Contacts access your contacts. Select Allow. Do same for make and manage phone calls.
- When your contacts are displayed, tap on the three vertical dots inline with the search box and choose “select“.
- Now, select the contacts you’d like to delete and thereafter, tap on the trash icon displayed at the top on the screen.
- You will be prompted to confirm whether or not you want to delete selected contacts. If sure, choose “Delete“.
That’s it. You’ve successfully deleted contacts on Google using the Gmail app.
Remove Contacts On Google Using Mobile Phones Without Gmail or External Apps
This method is similar to using the web/desktop version. Except for this time, you will be using a mobile phone without gmail app or any external apps like contacts.
So, here’s how it’s done.
- Using a mobile browser like Google Chrome, go to contacts.google.com. Thereafter, log in into your Google account if you haven’t already.
- When your contacts show up, tap on the logo icon next to the contact(s) you want to delete. This will automatically select the contact(s)
- Next, tap on the three vertical dots displayed towards the top of the screen and select “Delete“. To confirm deletion, select Delete when prompted.
That’s it. You’ve successfully deleted contacts synchronised to your Google account without the use of any app.
How to Delete A Gmail contact on IOS/iPhone devices
Step 1: Locate the Gmail app on your iPhone and open it up
Step 2: Select “Manage your Google Account” from your profile picture in the upper right corner.
Step 3: Select “People & sharing” from the “Menu” button at the bottom right of the page that appears.
Step 4: Select the contacts you want to delete from the “Contacts” column and check the box next to their names.
Step 5: Select “Delete” from the dropdown menu by tapping the three vertical dots icon at the top.
Your contact list should be as up-to-date and relevant as possible. If you find that your contacts don’t update or if there are people in your contacts list that you no longer want to talk to, the Google account removal process is simple.
This article has shown you how to remove a contact from your Google account on desktop and mobile devices as well as IOS devices. If you found this helpful, you can share it with friends and family and social media if they need this information as well.