Have you ever thought of the fact that you can actually control your computer using your smart phone?
Oh, yes you can! Just as you can control your TV using it’s remote, you can actually use your Android phone or iPhone as a remote controller for your computer.
Say Hello to Unified Remote
Unified Remote is one of the best apps you can actually use in controlling your computer using your Android, iPhone or iPad device.
Out of the box, you get the basic functions of being able to use your smart phone as a mouse in controlling your computer, a keyboard in typing on your computer (See action below).
A file manager which can automatically be used in accessing almost every file on your computer and displays the selected file on your computer screen(See action below).
A media controller which controls the volume of your computer as well as the stop, pause and play functions including next and previous functions. Simply put, using your smart phone, you can control the media functions of your computer (See action below).
Of course, not forgetting the ability to shut down your computer, restart, log off, lock, sleep and hibernate your computer using your smart phone. See action below as i put your laptop to sleep using my smart phone.
Oh! As earlier stated, your smart phone can also be used as a mouse on your computer, it can also be used in scrolling through a web-page conveniently. See action below:
Sounds really cool right? These aren’t all you can do with the app. These are just the basic functionalities.
There are actually loads of other things you can control on your computer using your smart phone device. Are you ready to start controlling your computer using your smart phone?
Then let me guide you through.
Requirements To Control Computer Using A Phone
- An Android phone, iPhone or iPad (In my case, I used an iPhone).
- A computer. I used a laptop here.
- Unified Remote server software installed on your computer. Download HERE.
- Unified Remote app installed on the iPhone, iPad or Android phone. You can download from Google Playstore (for Android) or App Store (For iPhone or iPad).
Got everything in place? Lemme hear you say CHECK! Good, so let’s continue.
Steps To Control Computer Using Unified Remote As Remote
- Make sure you are connected via Wi-Fi on your computer and phone. Both the computer and smartphone device should be connected to same Wi-Fi network.
- Install the Unified Remote Server software on your computer by following the on-screen instructions. You may get a warning message. Not to worry, just keep at it.
- When installation is complete on your computer, launch the Unified Remote app on your phone and let it automatically search since the app is running for the first time.
- When search is complete, it should automatically connect with your computer and there you go. You can now control your computer using your phone.
You can go ahead and give it a shot.
How does it feel? Awesome right?
The interesting thing is, you don’t necessarily have to stay close to your computer to be able to control it using your smartphone.
As long as both the phone and the computer are both connected to same Wi-Fi and are both within the Wi-Fi network reach, you should be able to control the computer even from a considerable distance.